25/10/2012 Comments Off
Working with patterns is one of most fun as well as useful and efficient methods for a rich designs. Let's go through the creation of one example to practice :)
↓ download source files: includes vector source file for pattern creation, HTML/CSS files for testing.
Here are 2 lists for various tutorials you might find useful, for creating patterns in both Illustrator as well as Photoshop. If you found any others for other apps, or different methods, please do share these via the comments.
NOTE: please be aware that the version of software used in the tutorials varies, I tried to collect a few for each version to give you flexible options ~ would be great if you could share your findings in case you came across any more :)
tutorials: creating patterns in illustrator
- Creating seamless patterns in Illustrator, Veerle Pieters
- How to create a baroque pattern in Illustrator, Sebastiano for wegraphics.net
- How To Create a Repeating Camo Pattern in Illustrator, Chris Spooner on spoongraphics.co.uk
- Illustrator Quick Tip: Using the Blend Tool to Create Repeating Patterns, Nathan Brown for wegraphics.net
- Create a Trendy Seamless Type Pattern, vectips.com
- How to Create Seamless Subtle Patterns in Adobe Illustrator
- Learn How to Create a Pattern in Illustrator CS5, illustratoratoms.com
- Create a repeating pattern in Illustrator, Andy Buckle for .net magazine
tutorial collections - Illustrator
- Veerle Pieters - Illustrator tutorials
Veerle is an undisputed master of vector graphics and shares her techniques and working methods on her blog. I cannot recommend her blog enough, not only for her wonderful tutorials but also for all the inspiration :)
- Fabio Sasso - abduzeedo - Illustrator tutorials
abduzeedo is one of the most inspiring design blogs, sharing inspiration as well as tutorials for various graphic techniques, well worth exploring! :)
- Illustrator CS5 Tutorials: 70 Wicked Tips - a huge collection of various tutorials on designrfix
You will find a vast collection of patterns in different styles and designs - well worth studying. Hopefully, you'll soon feel inspired to create your own :)
There's also a good post showing "25 Inspiring Sites that Use Repeat Patterns and Seamless Textures Effectively"
And lastly - a list of links to pattern related sites :)
- Patterns by Squidfingers
- Citrus Moon Patterns
- Patterns of Change by Liza Phoenix
- patterns by DesignShard
- Backgrounds etc
- Fractured Sanity
- :: Screentones ::
Comments are closed.