13/10/2012 Comments Off
With the Ada Lovelace day coming up - it seems fitting that the discussion about gender balance and sexism in the tech industry is getting a lot of attention again. I'd rather not go into detail about my own opinion here as I don't have the time, or the head, to do this subject justice at the moment. However, it is an important issue to consider.
This online article by Faruk Ateş for .net magazine aims to start a productive conversation about this topic. Faruk has been quite involved in actively promoting women in tech as well as standing up against sexist comments online. The article is packed with links to additional topical debates, references ~ so make sure to check those out as well as the comments.
Faruk also published a follow up post: A Response To The Responses To My Sexism in Tech Primer
UPDATE 16/10 - more reactions and posts:
- Kathy Sierra On The Primer On Sexism Discussion, by Kathy Sierra
- discussion on hacker news
- A different take on sexism in IT, by Salvatore Sanfilippo aka antirez
- What's Wrong With @antirez's Post on Sexism in IT, by @shanley
- Antirez: Totally Not a Douchebag, by Tom Thorogood
Comments are closed.